Friday, August 01, 2008

Our NEW Mall!


For all those who come home to visit and look forward to visiting their favorite old mall, well, it is no more. Southcenter has officially become Westfield, and you can tell by the two pictures above, it has been completely redone!
We took the girls to the new mall last night after hearing rave reviews of it's remodel. It's gone from being an old and dumpy mall, to the biggest mall in the Pacific Northwest. Grand Opening was Friday, and it now boasts 75 new stores, a 3 story window next to the new food court, parking garages, second story covered walkways from the garages, two levels of stores and a third level housing a new AMC theatre! I'm thinking, "yeah, right - I've seen the cool malls down south and dumpy old Southcenter could never look anything like those!". Well, we were pleasantly surprised!
The girls REALLY wanted to be able to "walk the whole mall". Okay, no biggie, we can easily get that done. After 3 1/2 hours, we FINALLY made it through the entire NEW section of the mall - we never even went through the old part! You need to come up here and see for yourself - you will not believe your old mall! If I was an elequent writer like the Green Duo, I could use my writing to paint a picture for you of the sophisticated shopping atmosphere, the relaxing seating that includes TV's for the husbands to watch while the girls shop, the stores that are more like entering a Disney ride than a mall store, roomy food courts and parking garages that remind the girls of the airport ... but writing is not my "thing". Here is my summary: the place was packed, there was no parking, the food was great, and we needed several more hours to truly enjoy the place. I also learned that taking three girls, who are all now concerned about "style", to the mall together is a mom's nightmare! This year we will be doing all school shopping one-at-a-time with mom! They each have their own "style" and each want to go into their own stores! I felt like I was being ripped apart the entire time! Oh, the fun is just beginning around the Smith household ...

2 comments:

Jason said...

Wow... this is great that you are posting more blogs. I can't call southcenter the "hick mall" anymore. I guess I will have to schedule a trip up there sometime since nobody wants to come to Denver. :(

Brian Lutz said...

Southcenter isn't actually the oldest mall in the Seattle area (the Tacoma Mall was built in 1964, and Northgate and Bellevue Square were around well before that, albeit not in enclosed mall form,) but the original portions of the mall clearly show their age (I happen to like the look of the older portions of the mall myself, but that's a matter of taste, I'm sure. If you want to see what a truly dumpy mall looks like, go check out Totem Lake up in Kirkland (on second thought, don't waste your time. There's pretty much nothing left there anymore.) Thanks for the link though.

-Brian
http://thesledgehammer.wordpress.com